Bid to bring sanity at Chepchoina scheme

Rift Valley Regional commissioner George Natembeya addresses locals of Chepchoina on March 15, 2021. Photo/ Courtesy

​​The government has begun an exercise to determine genuine landowners on a disputed 15,000-acre settlement scheme that lies on the border of Trans Nzoia and West Pokot counties.

The exercise, which was launched by the Rift Valley Regional commissioner George Natembeya on Monday entails the verification of land documents by residents to flash out encroachers.

Mr Natembeya said there will be a police presence at the settlement scheme to oversee an eviction exercise that will be initiated once the verification exercise is completed.

“The exercise will seek to ensure that those who have encroached on the piece of land are evicted yo ensure only those who were earmarked for settlement benefit,” Mr Natembeya said.

The scheme was hived off from the Agricultural Development Corporation (ADC) land by the KANU regime in 1999 to settle squatters from Pokot, Luhya, Turkana and Sabaot communities in the two counties.

Allotment letters were issued by the late Rift Valley provincial commissioner Ishmael Chelang’a, former ADC Managing Director Walter Kilele and settlement Fund Trustees (SFT).

Kapenguria MP Samuel Moroto was last week arrested when he toured 700 families that were evicted from Sabata village, which is located within the disputed settlement scheme.